Bring new life to this icon of Adelaide’s past. The Banana Room was a renowned vintage clothing shop, opened in 1974 in a former banana storage room on the east end of Rundle Street. It later moved to this gorgeous, light filled shopfront on Melbourne Street. Proprietor, Sophie Van Rood, was a collector of Victorian, Edwardian, twenties, thirties and forties apparel and at its height The Banana Room was Australia’s largest vintage emporium. It closed in 2002 and the site has most recently been a gym, of the same name. We want you to help give this iconic site a new future!
This site is our first activation opportunity since we received additional funding to expand our program to include Melbourne Street. We are ideally looking for a project that will bring something new to the street. Known for its food, fashion health, beauty and service based businesses, the successful applicant will have the opportunity to complement these existing businesses and offer the community something different. If you think you have a concept that would suit this space, read on, and apply!
Location: Ground Floor, 125 Melbourne Street, North Adelaide
Type of Property: Office/Showroom/Studio/Retail/Hospitality/Creative Concept
Size: 152 sqm
- Glass main street frontage
- Character features
- Kitchenette and toilet
- Rear courtyard / onsite parking
- Rear lane driveway access
Costs to Consider
- Fit out & aesthetics
- Staffing and time commitment
- Any regulatory or licensing costs including Development Approvals
- Cleaning & waste removal
- Utilities – power
- Business running costs – stock, etc.
- Plant & equipment ongoing maintenance costs – fire servicing, etc.
- Make good obligations
In your application, you will be required to address the following:
- An outline of your business concept
- Relevant experience of participant/s involved
- Budget plus contingency
- A mood board covering products and fit out (a collection of images of how you envisage your concept will be executed and what your products look like)
- Your approach to the layout of the space. Taking into consideration:
- How you propose to fit out/change the space (and how quickly you can make it happen)
- Brand concept
- Particular design elements you wish to incorporate
Thursday 19th April @ 4 pm
If you are interested in submitting an application for this space then we encourage you to try and inspect the property on the available dates.
Sunday 29th April @ midnight
Should you have any questions relating to your application please email email@example.com and include ‘125 Melbourne Street’ in the subject heading.
Please note: It is essential that you know the requirements and expectations of operating in a Renew Adelaide property. Please make sure you read What Renew Can Do For You prior to completing your application.