Step back in time to one of the most iconic buildings in Adelaide. The Austral stores of Hindley Street has a rich history that has entwined itself in the hearts and minds of the people of Adelaide, across multiple generations. Built by Albert Conrad for his father Leopold in 1903, originally featuring 12 shops and two three-story towers. This is a perfect example of Edwardian style architecture.
The Austral stores have evolved over the years, the space on offer is in the basement east. Also known as the ‘West Coffee Palace’, it has had a multitude of incarnations over the years such as the famous ‘La Cantina’, and was most recently used by ‘Arts SA’. This is now your opportunity to add the next chapter to this famed story. Situated across ‘Adelaide Symphony Orchestra’ building right in the heart of Hindley Street and a short walk from UNISA, you will have your chance to launch your unique concept in one of Adelaide’s most buzzing precincts.
Ideally, the selected candidate would be motivated by bringing something new and different to the West End. We really encourage our applicants to not just think of Hindley Street as a nightlife spot. We see the potential as far greater than ‘just another bar’ on Hindley.
Location: Austral Stores, Basement East, 108-112 Hindley St
Type of Property: Showroom/Studio/Retail/Licensed Venue
Size: 210sqm approx
- Separate access from Hindley St
- Access to back alley
- Male and female amenities
- Upgraded Central Air conditioning
COSTS TO CONSIDER
- Public Liability insurance
- Fit out & aesthetics
- Staffing and time commitment
- Any regulatory or licensing costs including Development Approvals
- Cleaning & waste removal
- Utilities – power, gas & water
- Businesses running costs – stock, etc.
- Plant & equipment ongoing maintenance costs – fire servicing, etc.
- Make good obligations
In your application, you will be required to address the following:
- An outline of your business concept
- Relevant experience of participant/s involved
- Budget plus contingency
- A mood board covering products and fit out (a one to two page collection of images of how you envisage your concept will be executed and what your products look like)
- Your approach to the layout of the space, based on a basic square tenancy. Taking into consideration:
- How you propose to fit out/change the space (and how quickly you can make it happen – speed is key!)
- Brand concept
- Particular design elements you wish to incorporate
Wednesday 4th April @ 4 pm
Thursday 12th April @ 4 pm
An inspection can be a great way to kick start those creative juices and become inspired. If you are interested in submitting an application for a space within this arcade, then we encourage you to attend the inspection!
Sunday 22nd April @ midnight
Should you have any questions relating to your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include ‘Austral Stores’ in the subject heading.
Please note: It is essential that you know the requirements and expectations of operating in a Renew Adelaide property. Please make sure you read What Renew Can Do For You prior to completing your application.